[AusNOG] Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Mon Dec 22 23:19:56 EST 2014

On 22 Dec 2014, at 11:13 pm, Paul Wallace <paul.wallace at mtgi.com.au> wrote:

> No ... it's simply about the need for the employer to gain a return on investment.

Employees need to get a return on investment too, otherwise they won’t be interested in you.

If I put a lot of time and effort into training myself for an industry, that’s time and effort I haven’t been able to spend on other things, which I’ve invested into myself on the expectation of future profits. If you aren’t interested in providing me with what I need to satisfy my internal ROI, I’m not even going to talk to you about employment. You can satisfy yourself with the staff with low self-expectations instead.

Understanding this is the key to hiring staff that you’re actually happy with, instead of staff who make you grizzle about how terrible Gen-Y is. You’re not so entitled that you automatically deserve quality staff, you actually have to work to attract them.

> In Australia the first people to NOT get hired are unfortunately the very young because the min wage is unsustainable.

lolwut? Who in this industry gets minimum wage?  How is any tiny infinitesimal microscopic aspect of that even tangentially related to anything discussed here?

> Therefore if you're interested in making life easier on yourselves and your peers then ... over 35' with experience vote left ... and if you're under 35 vote conservative

Conservatives want unemployed under-30s to go without any income whatsoever for 6 months of the year. So that doesn’t seem like a smart move to me.

> Don't blame GenY kids ... blame the people that set the landscape of expectation.

Boomers?  Yep, top idea, let’s start with them.

  - mark