[AusNOG] Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Michael Wheeler michael at michael-wheeler.org
Mon Dec 22 17:36:20 EST 2014

Generation X people drive me nuts - They are stuck in theirs ways,
unwilling move forward and unwilling to help youngsters learn. That also
finger point at other generations for not being able to keep up with the
times. They care too much about the mainstream media and not what's
happening the real world.

In all seriousness, and I know I'm a little late to the rant party, but
this whole generation hating thing is something that happens with every
generation - not just gen y, and not a reason to shoot down someone asking
for an opportunity to show their skills.

Maybe where I've worked has had a slightly different focus on employee
health but so far all my jobs as a (Network|Communications)
(Engineer|Technician|Support) personal have wanted to know everything about
me to ensure I'm both mentally and physically fit for the job and ensure
that my health doesn't decline while working for them and to be frank, I
don't think I would want to work for a company that doesn't care.

Anyway, if you get some certs under your belt such as CCNA - I wouldn't
offer your self for free work experience - everyone will say yes, give you
a bunch of work and then leave you with nothing. Paid as a trainee or
minimum wage would be the best even if it's only for a couple of weeks.
Look for contract NOC roles answering calls - typically NOC call centers
aren't to stressful and look great on your resume. Contract roles come up
fairly often all over the country - don't be afraid of applying for remote
roles as they may fly in / fly out during the project.

Sincerely,

Generation Y member,
mwheeler