[AusNOG] Optimising Telstra Inbound Traffic

Stephen Dendtler sdendtler-ausnog at rackcorp.com
Fri Dec 19 16:46:53 EST 2014

Hi All,

I'm having some problems getting Telstra inbound routes optimal - particularly for
Perth-Originated Telstra/Bigpond traffic.  My scenario is this:
    Telstra (Perth Originated) <-> Optus <-> Upstream ISP 1 (In Perth) <-> My AS
    Telstra (Perth Originated) <-> Upstream ISP 2 (In  Melbourne) <-> My AS

Regardless of BGP path padding, Telstra always prefers to route their
traffic via Upstream ISP 2 (hand-off in Melbourne).  I'd really like
to be able to pick up Telstra Perth traffic in Perth as some of it is
destined for services there rather than having it go Perth -> Melbourne
-> Perth.  All other main ISPs I've checked are being picked up fine
(Ignoring TPG)

Does anyone know if there's a policy around Telstra preferring Paid-Transit
over Peering (regardless of inter-state) and/or if there's another way to
overcome things without resorting to buying transit from them in Perth or
dedicating a prefix for Perth services (which is what we've been doing to date).

Thanks!

 - Stephen