[AusNOG] List Charter - Was Re: Glovine Servers OFFLINE!

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Thu Dec 11 17:03:22 EST 2014

Hi Jeremy,

I'm sorry you see the lack of email response directly to you as an indication of inaction. Or you think it takes us weeks/years to respond.

And while I'm typing, this post is not a reaction directly at you.

As one of the AusNOG board and a part of the collective of moderators, I can assure you that while we don't (and won't) directly respond to every complaint we do consider every issue.

Further, we believe that this list contains professionals. Some "more professional" than others, but professional none the less.

We have high expectations of everyone's self control and we do take a light touch. Why? Simply we are not the draconian police. To do so would have diluted some discussions which have evolved into interesting on-charter learning outcomes for the entire mailing list.

From time to time when we do ask a poster to alter their posting behaviour we have done so in a way to still encourage them to be a part of the community and to learn and thus contribute. That's not to say I automatically condone everyone's behaviour, simply I hope people will see that for what it is.

And it's with that model that I would like the professionals on this list to both consider the posts of the naive and how to respond to them, and in-kind foster or mentor the community in an adult fashion.

Cheers,
Terry
(Speaking for myself on this occasion)