[AusNOG] Netflix, AWS and Softlayer vs. Australia

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Fri Dec 5 13:02:40 EST 2014

I heard that the gigabit services were going to be on dedicated fibre,
not GPON.

On 05/12/14 12:58, Jake Anderson wrote:
> Its true that at present congestion is going to be difficult to
> achieve ;->
> They are also generally running a 20-25 way split (with a max of 32 or
> so as you say) so even with all users on 100mbps you would be having a
> bad time to hit the cap on 2.5gbps.
>
> But I *presume* that given they are offering gbit services (even if
> none are available through RSP's) that nbnco would have the back end
> systems to manage congestion in the wild.
>

> On 05/12/14 12:49, Tony wrote:
>> I fear we're straying wildly off-topic, but aren't they doing a
>> 32-way split on 2.5Gbps of bandwidth ? Even if all of your 15 users
>> are on 100Mbps plans (the max available right now) then they wouldn't
>> be able to saturate the 2.5gbps bandwidth available (ie. 15 * 100 =
>> 1.5gbps) ?
>>
>> NBN design specs also state that for SDU:
>>
>> "Extra fibres shall be allocated to provide future capacity. In total
>> the effective allocation on average is three fibres per premises."
>>
>> And for MDU:
>>
>> "For the range of MDUs from Small to Large, if contained within the
>> same building or in close vicinity, a ratio of 1.5 fibres per
>> residential dwelling is used."
>>
>> So maximum number of premises connected right now should in theory
>> only be 23-24 per splitter for MDU (32/1.5) and much less for SDU and
>> hence under the maximum bandwidth for each split.
>>
>> There isn't that much chance for congestion on the NBN fibre tails.
>>

>> http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/nbn-network-design-rules.pdf

Nick Stallman
Agentpoint Pty Ltd
The Real Estate Web Developers
Melbourne | Sydney | Miami
nick at agentpoint.com
www.agentpoint.com.au | www.zooproperty.com | www.ginga.com.au |
www.business2.com.au

Business2.com.au is a real estate agent information website that helps
you understand Portals, Technology and comes with FREE tools to help
your Agency become an online success!