[AusNOG] Reverse DNS Recommendations

Nick Pratley nick.pratley at serversaustralia.com.au
Thu Dec 4 17:05:45 EST 2014

+1

My Proof of Concept code parses the latest configuration file saved by
rancid for each switch & router, dumping into a Power DNS cluster.

The downside to the approach I took, was realising that Observium saves all
the information (IPs on Layer 3 ports and vlan interconnects), and I could
have just pulled all the data for this project from that DB.

I am also happy to answer questions / help with examples of the code
parsing the config files if needed.

Just on this note, there is a really awesome python tool I found. Takes the
entire text config and converts to JSON.
https://github.com/knipknap/Gelatin