[AusNOG] Reverse DNS Recommendations

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Thu Dec 4 15:57:58 EST 2014

Unless I'm mistaken what the original poster is asking for is ideas for a
naming convention for the content of PTR records.... ya know, what winds up
in traceroute output when DNS resolution is turned on.

e.g.

vlanX-router1.blah.tld
giX-Y-Z-router2.blah.tld

There is no RFC that even suggests this to the best of my knowledge.

PTR records can contain whatever the hell you want them to.

P.S. There might be an April Fool's RFC that defines the "complient",
because the English language sure as hell doesn't.