[AusNOG] SEA-ME-WE 3 cut again

Eric Appelboom eappelboom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 11:34:43 EST 2014

The latest update on the cable fault is that cable ship has been mobilized
but currently waiting PoW from ships operator.

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 8:04 AM, cisco mail <mail at sapage.net> wrote:

> Any chance anyone has an update on this one? I have heard a few stories so
> far but not certain what to believe or not right now.
>
> Latest guess I can find is fixed by Friday? Started out at weeks, now down
> to a few days? Consider it was 4 months last time is this a realistic time
> frame?
>
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 1:12 AM, Paul Brooks <pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/12/2014 4:10 AM, Eric Appelboom wrote:
>> >
>> > The fault has been detected on 11/30 0339 UTC and is located at about
>> 1155 km from Singapre TUAS cable station near tha Jakarta branching unit.
>> Cable repair schedule is to be advised once available.
>> That distance puts the break pretty much near the island of Krakatoa in
>> the Sunda
>> Strait (depth ~90m, busy shipping channel), or possibly a tad to the
>> south-west (depth
>> ~200m).
>> Probably not far enough south-west for the much deeper Sunda Trench.
>> Lots of seismic activity in that area.
>> I see the iiNet outage notice now pushes the ETR back to Friday.
>>
>> Excellent case example for my talk on Thursday!

Kind regards
Eric Appelboom
CISA CISM CRISC CISSP-ISSAP CSSLP CGEIT CEH CCSE CCNA(SECURITY) MCITP ITIL
TOGAF MInfoSysSecurity SEC+ MCSA(SECURITY) MCSE MCTS MCITP C|CISO
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eappelboom