[AusNOG] Data retention definitions

Terry Sweetser terry+AusNOG at skymesh.net.au
Sat Aug 30 17:44:02 EST 2014

Well ...  I see ...

[1] no harm in infrastructure owning CSP's gathering and storing
meta-data of whatever they need to function as a business;

[2] a great deal of harm in that meta-data suddenly being open to
inspection by the authorities with little or no judicial oversight;

[3] a lot of time and money being wasted on compliance to any scheme
labelled "anti-terrorism" which involves no public scrutiny;

[4] no one at ASIO, AFP or the federal AGD actually catching terrorists
using any current meta-data or any future specification of meta-data;

[5] scope creep in the wings where various LEOs and QGOs suddenly start
trawling secretly through the meta-data for offenses, aka "big data
policing";

[6] the completely scarey prospect of key escrow to allow ASIO, ASIS,
LEOs, maybe even QGOs to inspect the clear-text contents of SSL;

[7] a warrant-less copyright infringement warning and/or enforcement
scheme that uses the meta-data for the benefit of "big content";

[8] a complete lack of leadership and funding from the internet industry
to attack the issues involved for the benefit of all.

To be blunt: letting the AGD get any of their proposal up will turn
Australia into an electronic police state to put the Soviets to shame.

http://about.me/terry.sweetser