[AusNOG] SPAM-MED: Re: Vocus international service outage

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:06:47 EST 2014

I'm not sure I agree with that.

I chase up RFOs and the like because I'm especially interested in ensuring
things don't repeat.

Yes, you should have multiple providers if you need 24/7, but that's just
part of risk mitigation.

It's perfectly reasonable to ask your providers what went wrong and what
they did to fix it. I certainly wouldn't be happy with a provider who just
took a 'reboot mentality' of turning gear off and on again. I'd expect them
to be taking a few extra minutes if necessary to get appropriate debugging
to get to the root cause, rather than just have it reoccur in 6 months
time. It isn't about blame assignment, it should be about learning from
incidents to prevent them happening again.

Sam