[AusNOG] Rasberry Pi - in Sydney

Tim Raphael raphael.timothy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 11:15:54 EST 2014

I've been using them as "Phone-Home" devices that I can send out to remote
sites to give me local "LAN Side" access to a customer site.

I use an OpenVPN appliance to terminate the Pis as they dial up from site,
all I need is a DHCP enabled network and internet access on the remote site.
Users find it easy enough to plug in an ethernet cable and the USB plug to
something for power. The device boots, runs the OpenVPN init script and
authenticates with a certificate to the OVPN appliance.
I can then log into the Pi via the appliance and have local access as if I
had a terminal onsite. Great for testing / proving network issues from a
client's perspective from the other side of the country.

I've uploaded the auto-start scripts I found and modified to github if
anyone is interested:
https://github.com/tardoe/OVPNAutoStart

The OpenVPN appliance I used it based on TurnKey Linux - all images of
which are all available in ZettaGrid vDCs (or VPSs on request).
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/openvpn and
https://www.zettagrid.com/2014/06/30/turnkey-now-zettagrid/

I'm very interested to see what other people are doing with these awesome
devices as well!

Tim

TRDP 2008
Tim Raphael Digital Productions 2008