[AusNOG] metadata conference on SkyNews

Terry Sweetser (SkyMesh CTO) terry+AusNOG at skymesh.net.au
Tue Aug 12 09:48:42 EST 2014

A general correction here -- it is a mapping of 'IP Address' to 'Account
Holder'.

The 'Account Holder' may be even be living at the address, or even be a
nartural person, possibly a corporation.

Each request for data I get from QPS asks for "Account Data" like
billing address and even credit card details.

(They can't have the CC details, they're hidden from me and all staff
using tokenisation.)

I would assume you could defend yourself in court with "I may pay the
bill, but I did not download that ... "

Add an expert witness to explain open proxies, back doors, etc, and you
have the scenario where an ordinary internet user can't be held 100%
responsible for everything on their internet service.

http://about.me/terry.sweetser