[AusNOG] metadata conference on SkyNews

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Aug 8 14:30:36 EST 2014

Are they going to be happy with 'sFlow' though?  That's likely to miss the
data they want at any sane sampling rate?  There's a big difference in
bandwidth and storage space between keeping 100:1 (or less) sFlow sampling
data, and keeping FULL 1:1 data around.  The only place I run a full
netflow feed is at home, and that gathers 600-700MB/month of data.  That's
on a 4mbit DSL connection doing a measly 100-150GB/month of data.  What's a
full 1:1 feed on a couple of 10gbps transit connections, plus peering going
to be like?

On 8 August 2014 14:22, David Bomba <david at rackcentral.com.au> wrote:

>  If it is just Netflow/sFlow data, storage accumulates at approximately
> 30Gb per /22 per month from our data. YMMV. Given most enterprise switches
> / routers have had these capabilities for sometime, it would appear that
> cost impact will revolve solely around ‘storage’ of data.
>
>  I don’t see their system working without L7 data, either they will get
> that from other sources, or they’ll incrementally keep increasing the type
> of data required for ISPs to hold.
>
>  Malcolm has put out the bush fire, but no one is asking the obvious
> question….
>

>  On 8 August 2014 at 2:13:46 pm, Ross Wheeler (ausnog at rossw.net) wrote:
>

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2014, Joseph Goldman wrote:
>
> > God I hope so. That data is in Radius logs alone for the most part - if
> its
> > just a matter of holding the data for 2 years, woo! Pretty sure we've
> got
> > some of that data back 10 years!
>
> Not sure I should admit this... but I've got every radius (and its
> predecessor back when we were just using SLIP and later PPP with
> digiboards under BSDI) - back to when we started early 1995.
>
> Those records are small to start with, and compress well. Archival and
> storage of those at least are easy.
> Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content
> filtering.http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg
> Click here to report this message as spam:
> https://login.mailguard.com.au/report/1K9i06QI9G/3192IeUbDSvVrmcEq2tPEX/0

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
rendrag at rendrag.net -  http://www.rendrag.net/