[AusNOG] (Meta-)Data Retention

Terry Sweetser (SkyMesh CTO) terry+AusNOG at skymesh.net.au
Wed Aug 6 15:15:03 EST 2014

However, if they have a suspect, they (ASIO/AFP/QPS/etc) can request
interception right now of any carrier.

If you don't have it handy, go ask your CRO or equivalent for a copy of
your ICP.  Members of the press should not have much trouble sending an
FoI into the AGD for a copy of all of them -- they've just all been
lodged for the current FY.

Besides all that, ip addresses and email addresses still need to
"mapped" to a real person, a full feed of all their packets will not
help LEOs identify the person(s) owing the packets.

Between VPNs, open proxies, bots, and trojans, I can't see how the LEOs
will get much value from anything we hand them -- the only people likely
to get really noticed are the patsies and the spectacularly stupid.

http://about.me/terry.sweetser