[AusNOG] Deciding on Juniper vs. Brocade

Dave Finster dave.finster at construcsys.com.au
Tue Aug 5 16:16:27 EST 2014

We upgraded from our EX4200 units to EX4300s at our main corporate office once the cabling arrangements got out of hand in our server room. Both are good switches, but the 4200s didn’t come with any fibre options and could only 'virtual chassis’ with other 4200 units via a dedicated VCP channel on the back. We had three racks and were running quite long CAT6 cables from 2 of the racks into the one with the 4200s in them. We instead opted for a single EX4300 as a top of rack switch for the two server racks and 3 x EX4300 for end-user terminations. The two top-of-rack switches are connected back to the end-user switches by 10 gigabit optics (official Juniper) and the end-user switches are interconnected using the ports on the back. All 5 switches operate in a virtual chassis.

Both the 42 and 43 switches were flawless, but we just needed more flexibility with regard to optics.

Any more questions feel free to ask.