[AusNOG] Dealing with global route views

Nathan Brookfield Nathan.Brookfield at simtronic.com.au
Sat Aug 2 19:27:00 EST 2014

Vocus yes, PIPE no....

Kindest Regards,
Nathan Brookfield

Chief Executive Officer
Simtronic Technologies Pty Ltd

Web: http://simtronic.com.au
Phone: 1300 592 330
Fax: (02) 4749 4950

On 2 Aug 2014, at 19:24, "Andrew Yager" <andrew at rwts.com.au<mailto:andrew at rwts.com.au>> wrote:

Hi All,

Coming to the end of a couple of long weeks, and brain is a bit fried.

For the last few days we've had issues where one or other of our two primary internal upstreams has had DOS attacks affecting their connectivity on foreign soil (i.e. connectivity via Level 3 is borked, or connectivity via he.net<http://he.net> is borked), which has adversely affected our ability to reach certain parts of the world, and conversely their ability to reach us.

In both cases we don't really want to drop either transit provider completely as the domestic performance we get from them both is good.

On another day my brain might see this really clearly, but just can't get my head into it for now.

Can we:

a) adjust our internal preferences accurately enough to influence our outbound traffic to prefer one or the other in particular, operator driven scenarios
b) influence our rest of the world traffic to avoid he.net<http://he.net> or level 3

… and how?

I believe one of our upstreams (Vocus) will honour some "do not advertise here" communities (but I don't know where the list is), but I suspect the other (PIPE) will not?

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Yager, Managing Director   MACS (Snr) CP BCompSc MCP
Real World Technology Solutions Pty Ltd - IT people you can trust