[AusNOG] Megaport - Link Negotiation

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 15:19:07 EST 2014

I agree with Skeeve on this one. I kinda liked the fact that they were
"upping the ante" by only offering 10G ports. My thought was that if you
didn't need 10G (or didn't have 10G in your gear) then you would just have
to buy a Gig switch that has 10G uplinks to act a "media converter"  (or a
"speed converter" in this case).

With NBN (or maybe not with MBN) and everything else that is happening,
now is a good time to be upgrading your gear to having 10G ports in it
anyway. How many 100/40 NBN services can you fit on a 1Gig handoff
(assuming of course you can find anyone in a coverage area who wants to
order these services). NBN is talking about offering 1G/400M services. I
can't imagine that you'd want to be receiving these on a 1G handoff port ?

The Megaport monthly fee is the same for both 10G & 100G services, so
you're paying for the port/fibre, not the speed of it (at least that is
what their website says).

regards,
Tony.