[AusNOG] Network monitoring software

Lindsay Hill lindsay.k.hill at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 11:38:03 EST 2014

Solarwinds is ~$25K for an unlimited NPM license. Much less if you have a
smaller network. If you think that is very expensive, you've never seen the
pricing for some of the "Big 4" vendors. Gets very scary, very quickly if
you've got a big network.

If you're set on a commercial product, there's not a huge number of good
options that are going to come in at a significantly lower cost. Don't
forget to allow for implementation effort. No matter what any vendor says,
nothing is just 'install it & you're done.' Depending on your scale, the
license cost may only be a small part of the overall cost.

Figure out what features you really need/want. Figure out what scale you
need. Big distributed monitoring setup? Or just one server polling 50
devices? Add-ons that can bump up costs are NetFlow, Config Mgmt, IP SLA
monitoring, etc. Figure out what other integrations you might need - is
this just network monitoring, or do you want to add in server monitoring?
Or integrate with another server monitoring system? Trouble-ticketing?
Handle it in this tool, or create tickets in another system?

You might end up going with an Open Source core product, with add-on
support. As already mentioned, Zenoss is pretty good. NMIS from Opmantek is
pretty good too.

 - Lindsay

Disclaimer: I don't work for or with any of the vendors mentioned. NMS
consulting is part of what I do, but it's usually with other products.
Deliberately haven't mentioned them here, but happy to talk off-list.