[AusNOG] Older Juniper J series routers - time bomb

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Thu Apr 3 20:05:15 EST 2014

Not so much of a "fix" it seems.

For anyone that is interested, Juniper provided me with a solution
which is genius if still a little hacky.

They suggest:

1. Deactivate existing NTP configuration
2. Set date back ~10 years

root> set date 200403250000.00

3. Disable sw -> hw time sync (incl. at boot time via rc script)

root% sysctl -w machdep.disable_rtc_set=1
root% touch /cf/etc/rc.custom
root% chmod +x /cf/etc/rc.custom
root% echo "sysctl -w machdep.disable_rtc_set=1" > /cf/etc/rc.custom
root% cat /cf/etc/rc.custom

4. Re-activate NTP configuration
5. Reboot (doesnt seem strictly necessary, but maybe worthwhile as a test)

So basically youre setting the hw clock back ~10 years which allows
the FPC to come online. You disable sw -> hw time sync so even when
running NTP, if the device reboots the hw clock is still in the past,
the FPC will come online because the certificate is still valid, and
then NTP will update the time on the box to the present.

Hope that helps some one else out there.