[AusNOG] Going Dual Homed (without waste)

Joseph Burford jburford at staff.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 26 18:15:34 EST 2013

Multihoming is to give you connectivity diversity in case of an upstream
failure, and provide alternate connectivity options if there is congestion
or other network issues, upstream from your upstream.

Multihoming for load balancing is the wrong way to look at it, you might
be able to tweak enough to make it work sometimes, maybe maybe, however
when things change on the Internet it will cause you pain.

Look for 95th percentile billing from your upstreams, this means you won't
be committing to a spend that is twice your capacity requirements.

Cheers,

Joseph