[AusNOG] Going Dual Homed (without waste)

Mark Tees mark.tees at digitalpacific.com.au
Thu Sep 26 18:14:19 EST 2013

Hey James,

Outbound is pretty easy. Check flow data to see which AS's make up your destination traffic or take a punt. Then use BGP local pref to send traffic down the desired BGP session.

Inbound, can sometimes be influenced by reasonable prepending and adding BGP communities that correspond to local preference in your upstream providers network. This depends on your upstreams.

Commercially, Nth percentile will give you the best bang for buck usually in that scenario.