[AusNOG] Going Dual Homed (without waste)

James Mcintosh james.mcintosh at rocketmail.com
Thu Sep 26 17:52:54 EST 2013

Hi Noggers,

Somewhat of a follow on from my previous post. I got a lot of comments back saying we should be muti-homed rather than single homed as we currently are.

I agree, however my question is how do we do so without over-provisioning transit and having too much "waste". If we're currently pumping around 600Mbps of inbound traffic through a single transit provider, how would we equally balance that across two transit providers at 300Mbs each.

Sure we could advertise some of our IP blocks via transit provider A and other IP blocks via transit provider B but that is hardly my idea of an easy load balancing solution and the traffic levels could still vary dramatically depending on downstream activities.

Your comments and ideas are much appreciated.

-James