[AusNOG] Entire NBN board resigns

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Tue Sep 24 07:40:45 EST 2013

>________________________________

Since the politicians have become involved in technology decisions, I think people are being delusional if you think the board can have a profound impact on the NBNs of various flavours. The board's job is to deliver to the shareholders' agendas, usually return on investment via profit, but in this case a political one, which is why these discussions are a waste of time. The political agenda could have only been influenced a few Saturdays ago. Whoever won the election was going to make NBNco follow the political agenda they'd promoted, because they are the shareholder. Unfortunately that involved techology, and now people are "butthurt" about it not being 97% glass in the ground (if you ask me, 100% fibre is the only acceptable answer if you're going to go down that path. I wouldn't have cared if it cost $80B to do it (or $180B if the Libs projections turned out right). If we're going to spend public money on building a next-generation broadband network,
 don't cheap out for 7% of the population)

People would be better off getting on with their life by moving directly to stage 5., Acceptance. Layer 1s and 2s come and go (as do layer 3s), there is no point getting nearly religious about a particular one (I don't remember people weeping when token ring was made obsolete by ethernet, or when 10BASE2 was replaced by 10BASE-T)

> and yet again because it's a post to a NOG list that isn't accompanied with a traceroute output someone's butthurt about it being offtopic.
>New low.

Perhaps you don't receive on some days 20 to 30 or more emails that fit within mailing lists' defined charters and try to keep up with them. Off-topic posts waste peoples' time. In this instance, given that there are 2500 people on this mailing list, that's a lot of time wasted. Too much off-topic, and eventually, they'll either ignore the list or unsubscribe. The one day, when they'd be the best person to answer an on-topic question, they won't be there.