[AusNOG] Screw the NBN, says TPG: We’ll do our own FTTB

Grahame Lynch grahamelynch at commsdaymail.com
Tue Sep 17 18:52:20 EST 2013

Jake

The rational economic analysis of what you are saying is that it assumes
that for high speed broadband to be offered "equitably" to everyone, people
in the low cost areas must pay higher prices to cross subsidise the higher
cost areas' prices. That is the current NBN model.

There's a few ways around that.

One is for people in the higher cost areas to pay more (subject to a price
cap). That's how PSTN pricing is constructed now, it is capped at a
ceiling, not a minimum.

Another is for the higher cost areas to be directly subsidised from
government revenue: instead of indirectly taxing city folk through higher
tariffs you directly fund rural broadband costs from consolidated revenue.
This is the approach now taken by TUSMA funding of the rural copper loop
which would remain operative even under a FTTH NBN as it will be retained
for the final 7%. What one does in this sense is expand TUSMA funding to
cover broadband. The advantages of this is you aren't taxing broadband at
the source (high city tariffs) but at the level of externalities (the
general wealth created by broadband and everything else). Anyone who
genuinely believes high speed broadband creates wealth should ideally
support taxing at the externalities level not the broadband purchase level.

Another is for government to subsidise private investment in the higher
cost areas, much like it is doing with the dollar for dollar co investment
plan for rural mobile blackspots.

There are lots of ways to fund rural broadband which don't require a total
monopoly derived cross subsidy.