[AusNOG] CWDM/DWDM Kit....

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Fri Sep 13 21:39:34 EST 2013

On 13/09/2013, at 6:02 PM, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> I understand that you can use cheapish-kit, but don't know what is considered cheap, or expensive for these kinds of deployment.

A few things to keep in mind:

- Your C/J/etc vendor of choice may not sell the combination of wavelength/power/speed/form-factor you're after. You may have to go third party for this, which has support implications (although I've never heard of anybody actually having a problem with this). Season with 'service unsupported-transciever' to taste.

- Some WDM kit can cause *massive* attenuation. Keep this in mind when calculating your link's loss budget. I'm aware of one set of kit that shaves off 6dB. You can't get away with the same kind of poor fibre hygiene indiscretions on WDM that previously worked fine for a grey link (capping FOBOTs and patch leads, cleaning patch leads, etc).

- Consider how you spare your optics. Its no longer a single spare SFP, you'll need one per wave/power/form-factor/speed.

Rgds,

- I.