[AusNOG] ADSL2+ line sync data

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Thu Sep 12 12:51:41 EST 2013

I think just taking distance into account is very simplistic view of
things. Im not sure what state the copper is in the UK. However in
Australia there are other things to consider other then distance.

Joints. - The number of joints in an adsl loop dramatically decrease SNR
and increase loss. The type of joint is also of interest. Insulation
displacement is far better then non soldered pin strip for example.

Cable type / gauge. - Cable type and gauge varies greatly. There is far
less loss on higher gauge cable. However most of the time gauge changes
at every joint this produces all sorts of nasty results from impedance
mismatches to standing waves.

Bridge Tap - xDSL's worst enemy and Telecom stalwart from the 1970-80's
bridged taps are responsible for most of the SNR problems on xDSL.  I
remember pulling these things out for a living when attempting to reduce
the BERT on Auspac and X25 services back in the 80's (now im showing my
age)  These things are going to be the biggest problem for the new
VDSL/FTTN environment. Technicians paid per completed service will not
have a lot of incentive to go find and remove these so the rule of thumb
will be. "Does it work at any speed, Yes. Good next job" . Just as it is
now.

Customer premiss cabling - Although this isn't some time's our problem
as ISP's it becomes our problem through support man hours and unhappy
customers, How many customers have you had a discussion with about that
old K-Mart non twisted pair 20m extension cord and those old disused 5
parallel sockets (more bridged tap's). It cant be my extension cord it
worked yesterday.

<rant>
My experience is the people working in this space, maintaining the
Telstra CAN (or customer area network) have very poor understanding of
these issues and the ones that do dont have the time to care when they
apply the pizza delivery pay model to these guys. None of this will
change, price pressure and time frame's will make a network that needs
serious TLC even worse. I have a customer that has been waiting 7 months
for copper that was damaged during a road works project to be replaced.
3G for 7 months. Good luck with that.

VDSL has it's place. In buildings - however we spend serious time going
to customers sites in buildings only to find that a technician with a
time pressure was there that morning and stole what they thought was a
spare pair for a phone service. Just because they could hear no dial
tone on it. No dial tone it must be free.

Welcome to the brave new - old world of data over copper.
</rant>