[AusNOG] Pricing for cross-connects at Equinix and/or Global switch?

Shara Evans ausnog at marketclarity.com.au
Mon Sep 9 19:45:35 EST 2013

Thank you to everyone who assisted with my cross-connect query - both on and off-list!

I thought it would be useful to provide a quick summary of my findings:

Global Switch and Equinix have different connectivity and commercial models:

* Global Switch does Meet-Me Room (MMR) Connections, whilst Equinix does Rack-to-Rack connections.

* In general Equinix has relatively inexpensive one-off fees, and more expensive monthly recurring fees, while Global Switch is somewhat the opposite.

* Several people commented that cross-connects at Global Switch can be more difficult due to higher installation fees, the need to obtain custom quotes for the installation, and longer lead times.

The Median reported Equinix monthly fee was $250 (ex GST).

Global Switch installation fees are quote dependent, and insufficient data was provided to form a view of likely costs. Similarly, insufficient monthly recurring fees were reported.

I also didn't obtain sufficient data to form a view of prices for maintenance, management and 24x7 monitoring for Cisco 4948 switches. If anyone has additional pricing data on this it would appreciated.

Best wishes,
Shara

Shara Evans
Market Clarity
Direct: (02) 9043-9101 [International +61-2-9043-9101]
Mobile: 0416-258-462 [International +61-416-258-462]
Internet: http://www.marketclarity.com.au