[AusNOG] GoodBye NBN

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Sep 9 10:20:36 EST 2013

Dang hit enter too early

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 10:15 +1000, Noel Butler wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 22:47 +1000, James Hodgkinson wrote:
>
> > I don't know of any houses in my circle of friends/family that have
> > a "landline" phone that'd last past the first power outage, with
> > portable phones being the choice du jour these days...
> >

> So, your landlines die after an hour of power outage now? find that
> hard to believe... sniff sniff, yes, troll day appears to have come
> early this week..
>
> and as for portable, how many old folk (70/80+) run around living on
> their mobiles. SFA thats how many.
> just because the average person and their inner circles here live on
> the things, dont assume the rest of the population does as well.
> and the elderly are the MOST and highest "at risk"   from this change.

Up around where I live, Bribie Island, there is a high proportion of
elderly people, a good summer storm can often see power outages from an
hour to six hours, I really hope none of them gets pains in the chest
after the four hour mark, if a few pass away, might make for a rather
interesting law suite.

cheers