[AusNOG] How hard is it to protect/defend a router?

Tim March march.tim at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 13:12:41 EST 2013

I have to assume ASIO telling NBN Co. to disqualify Huawei from their
vendor selection process was probably based on specific intelligence,
rather than a random hunch. The Australian intelligence community sold
it's soul to the Americans years ago so running similarly back-doored
equipment from the US is probably less of an issue ;)

There's a couple of prolific problems I observe with router
implementations in the wild;

1. They're often implemented by "systems administration" folk who view
"networking" as some sort of dark voodoo. Because their organisation
doesn't have the scale / resources to warrant dedicated networking
punters they're left to do the job. They tend not to understand the
full feature-set of the device and as soon as they've got it doing the
specific thing they need it gets put in to prod.

2. They've often considered to be set-and-forget items and can sit for
years without any administration or maintenance input. Where servers
natively live on the inside of a firewall routers, by definition,
often sit on the outside and this can leave them more exposed.

3. Shipping with default user credentials and an administration
console exposed on a public interface has been and is a HUGE issue for
many vendors. Cisco forces you to update the admin credentials on
first configuration now but this wasn't the case for many, many years.
If you port scan the 'net for TCP/23 now you'll find millions of
routers with default passwords to play with.

In the late 90's a couple of massive network providers in the US had
(as far as, uhhh, "someone I know" could tell...) massive parts of
their backbone configured with user: cisco pass: cisco. There was a
cool article in Phrack 56 detailing a couple of things people were
doing with them at the time. I imagine with NSA scale resources and
technology it's probably open day right now.

T.