[AusNOG] CryptoLocker Virus

Luke Smith luke at smith.name
Fri Oct 25 09:20:12 EST 2013

> You don't need to resort to antiquated technologies to avoid clients being
> able to nuke their own backups.  Server-initiated backups (my preference)
> get this capability by default, and even with client-initiated backups,
> it's
> not hard to allow the client to create and write to a new backup set
> without
> allowing the client to modify or remove completed backup sets.

I should have said "And thats one more reason why..."

So, if that virus got into your systems, and not the clients?

Having backups that are physically removed and unable to be destroyed
quickly and effectively by a miss-configuration, malicious administrator or
malicious software is valuable.

Tapes, removable hard drives, totally independent system thats WORM and
very hardened - whatever floats your boat. Maybe its a risk you prefer to
accept - that's your call. Obviously you need to actually remove tapes to
make it effective in this capacity.

Or, in other words - snapshots are not a *complete* backup solution -
despite what the vendor says.