[AusNOG] CryptoLocker Virus

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 09:56:58 EST 2013

This video highlights very nicely what I think is one of Microsoft's worst
security decisions ever (and one they persist with to this day) - to, by
default, hide the extension of known file types.

Meaning a file called malware.pdf.exe looks, to an uneducated user (or even
an educated one if the malware author bothers to include an icon within the
executable that gives it the appearance of a PDF file) look to be
malware.pdf.  Or cutekitten.jpg.exe look like cutekitten.jpg.

And we all know that JPGs and PDFs are totally safe, right? :)