[AusNOG] Network Stress Test Results - Frightening speeds of 900+ mbits

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Sat Oct 19 00:16:17 EST 2013

On Oct 18, 2013, at 3:31 PM, "Tom Paseka" <tom at cloudflare.com> wrote:

> There are hundreds of booters out there. We regularly see hits from 2mbps up to 10Gbps+ from various ones, using various methods (synfloods, dns reflections etc)

Concur 100%, this is indeed a 'booter'.  It's likely a criminal enterprise; note that it's illegal in most jurisdictions to send attack traffic beyond the borders of one's own network, and that it also violates AUPs of most intermediate transit networks in the path.

I strongly urge folks *not* to use services of this nature, because doing so is a) illegal, b) potentially very harmful, c) will attract the attention of miscreants towards both whoever pays and whoever is targeted, and d) funds criminals.

There are legal, safe ways to test resilience to DDoS attacks; but using a service of this type isn't among them.

;>

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net>