[AusNOG] Copper versus fibre in the DC

Matthew VK3EVL hitman at itglowz.com
Sat Oct 12 00:17:05 EST 2013

I don't say this with 100% confidence as it's only based on my experience.

Taking it to a very simplistic level generally fibre either works or it doesn't. If there is a fault you generally know about it.
It also provides some electrical isolation between kit meaning if something goes real screwy down the other end of the link it won't take your kit with it. Unlikely but possible.

Copper can degrade and you won't notice it at first. It's more likely to result in weird shit that initially takes you down another path. Plus it is more susceptible to interference (again unlikely) especially when someone wraps your link cable several time around their wireless antenna to help hold it in just the right place.

Cheers
Matthew