[AusNOG] Looking for employees? Melbourne based

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Fri Oct 11 19:40:12 EST 2013

> I vaguely remember hand-calculating binary approximations of floating point arithmetic
> with pencil and paper, with a few left and right register shifts for scaling thrown
> in, to demonstrate these issues during CompSci at university. They actually taught it
> as a module.

My first "real job" in the late 70s.
Real-time projectile location.

Had to write the floating-point math routines in assembler myself. No
convenient libraries to just "link in".

Upside was we could add as much precision as we were prepared to pay for.
(core memory of the day was around 2600ns access as I remember, so any
"real-time" stuff had to consider just how many instructions we wasted!)