[AusNOG] "It's like grandfather's axe"

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Fri Nov 22 13:39:14 EST 2013

On 22Nov13, Heinz N allegedly wrote:
> > And I mean a real, measurable QOS. How hard can it be to have the
> > customer-side NTU have a builtin QOS monitor? If the QOS light is red
> > the provider has a fault to fix. Simple.
>
> +1
>
> What a good idea. They would never go for it. Maybe they will say "if the
> red light stays on continously for longer than 'x' hours"

The QOS monitor has to be a bit cleverer than an instantaneous value
of course. Packet error rate over a 24 hour period or somesuch. But
this is hardly rocket science in 2013 is it?

If it's an NBN regulated definition that all NTUs comply with, then
consumer don't need to buy rain gauges to reinforce their case. Heck,
they don't even have to make a case at all; the NTU does that for
them.

Going further, the NTU could even report the fault and the provider
could fix it all without the consumer having to be part of the
process. You know, use the technology.

While it may be true that "they" will never go for it, this is exactly
the sort of area where governments can do good; regulating a minimum
service level then step aside and let providers deliver the service
under their watchful eye.

Mark.