[AusNOG] "It's like grandfather's axe"

Peter Lawler ausnog at bleeter.id.au
Thu Nov 21 17:40:22 EST 2013

On 20/11/2013 8:11 AM, Tony wrote:
> If I could find a source of 10 minute interval rainfall data I would plot that against packet loss to show the correlation.

FWIW...

I've heard of folks using Weewx on an RPi with a weather station to beat
their ISP/Carriers over the head with real data (when correlated with
official BoM type data as well).

One can put weather sensors straight on to the Pi with some 'extra'
hacking, but I reckon the quickest way is one of those USB weather
stations have a head unit which can store data for downloading to the
unit if comms (WIFI, USB etc.) goes down (can I get a big "Hello" to the
RPi's IO chip?). Check the Weewx site for info on compatible units.

If your cabling is buried you can also add soil moisture, pH sensors and
the like as well via the RPi's expansion port foo.

You may even wish to go so far as to set one up to get your router to
enable multi-WAN capabilities when humidity and/or rainfall goes above a
certain pre-determined level.

G'luck,

Pete.