[AusNOG] Voice Peering?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Wed Nov 13 15:23:33 EST 2013

On 12 Nov 2013, at 3:20 pm, Terry Sweetser (SkyMesh CTO) <terry+AusNOG at skymesh.net.au> wrote:

> A good issue to raise in the NBN context given that all voice on NBN is voip and not SS7 trunks.
>
> Are there any "SKA" voip exchange points in operation in Australia?

The big issue when I looked at this quite a while back was the potential number of calls of lack of.

Reality is that most voice calls in Australia are to Telstra, Optus, Vodafone.  So, if you factor out those calls then the number left doesn't make a good business case to setup an exchange etc.

Maybe something like Megaport changes it a bit, but it's worth analysing your own calls and figuring out the value of it vs reliability/complexity etc.  It may have changed or the economics might be different now.

MMC