[AusNOG] Consensus from the IETF 88 Technical Plenary - Internet hardening

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Sat Nov 9 14:40:05 EST 2013

On Nov 9, 2013, at 10:00 AM, PRK <ausnog at digitaljunkie.net> wrote:

> YMMV, but I consider your signature is an explicit statement that you're speaking for Arbor Networks:

And I'm explicitly stating that these views are my own, and no one else's.  I guess I can junk up my .sig further, but most people understand that, already; I'm hardly an unknown quantity.

Or I can use a different email account for operational lists - in which case I'm sure you'll claim I'm trying to hide my vendor affiliation.  Heads, you win; tails, I lose.

;>

I'll let you in on a little secret - making DDoS mitigation harder and more complex to deal with *benefits* vendors of DDoS mitigation solutions, because it stimulates the need for lots of expensive new sales and upgrades.  Making DDoS mitigation easier has the *opposite* effect.  And I'm all for making it easier; I'd like nothing better than to 'solve' DDoS so that I can go and do other things.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton