[AusNOG] Consensus from the IETF 88 Technical Plenary - Internet hardening

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Fri Nov 8 21:52:47 EST 2013

On 11/08/2013 02:56 AM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

>> Political solutions have a limited area of influence.
>
> So, you work within your area of influence to push for the situationally-appropriate protections against both foreign and domestic pervasive surveillance  taking within your area of influence, and I'll do the same in mine.

I am pretty sure that is how we got to where we are now.  I am not happy
with the results thus far.

>> Suppose that all nations of the world agreed not to collect data without probable cause and judicial oversight, would anyone "trust" that?
>
> I'm unconcerned with what nations other than my own do in regards to their own polities.  I'm very much concerned with what my nation does within its own polity and to other polities, and with what other governments do within the polity of my government.

I am quite concerned with what nations other than my own do in regards
to their own polities.  I interact with individuals within many
different polities.  Snooping on those individuals with which I interact
is snooping on me.

It also directly concerns me that the data for any interaction may pass
through numerous polities on its way to the destination.

-DMM