[AusNOG] Consensus from the IETF 88 Technical Plenary - Internet hardening

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Nov 8 17:54:14 EST 2013

On Nov 8, 2013, at 4:01 PM, "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:
> The only defenses against governmental abuse of power are political ones.

I prefer technical, social and political approaches.  Belt and suspenders.  Prosecute the intelligence agencies for their abuses, but also make societal changes to make whistleblowing about corruption easier, and also deploy technical measures so that corrupt intelligence agencies are limited in their ability to cause damage.

Because massively corrupt intelligence agencies is DEFINITELY one of the problems we're confronted with right now.

You're a security product vendor who's now arguing against that "defense in depth."

Note also that we typically consider "security" to be something that inhabits a space defined by availability, integrity and confidentiality.  You're a security product vendor who's arguing against the existence of at least one third of that picture.

Other people coming at the problems from different directions apply different weightings.  Some of us value confidentiality much more highly than you do, and whether you agree with us or not, it remains an entirely legitimate point of view.

   - mark