[AusNOG] Consensus from the IETF 88 Technical Plenary - Internet hardening

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Fri Nov 8 15:31:55 EST 2013

On Nov 8, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Richard Pruss (rpruss) <rpruss at cisco.com> wrote:

> But they are not getting it from the end-points today

Actually, they are.  They'll just do it more often.

> and it will be damm hard to justify surveillance of a US citizens laptop or cell phone without a warrant.

Sadly, no, this isn't the case.  This happens every day, too.

> So it would be far more targeted.

That often isn't the case now, and it will be less the case in future.  If the political aspects aren't resolved, then we'll end up with CALEA for phones, heh.

> The key thing I think is this is a social response and it will put pressure on the stupid crypto export/import laws of US, France and Russia as well.

That's a good thing.

> I think this is good social effort but obvious not a magic wand nor without it’s own dangers.

My point, precisely.

In fact, I think it will make things worse.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton