[AusNOG] You down with 313? Yeah you know me! Who's down with 313? The D-B-C-D-E!

Daniel Cross daniel at ritualmedia.co.nz
Fri May 31 12:52:47 EST 2013

It's been a while since I worked in an ISP, but I remember MPAA/RIAA
requests coming through via email, which back then we regularly just
binned.  Which in this regard has been making me wonder....

How are these requests even verified to be real? How are they submitted?
How are they recieved? Is there a secure communication channel? Who, within
an ISP, has the authority to authorise the requests?  Is an ISP bound to
secrecy?  If not, would they please publish all domain and/or IPs blocked,
as well as their policy for dealing with such requests.  If they are bound
to secrecy, I think this needs to be pushed and highlighted.

This is a serious concern.  Independant oversight and transparency should
be top of the list here.  An immediate refusal from ISPs to honour these
requests if they can not verify and publish would be an appreciated move
also.  I'm all over the forehead slapping here.

Daniel.