[AusNOG] IPv6 reverse DNS and Mail ...

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed May 22 08:13:54 EST 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 18:02 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:

> > 5xx Reject unknown client host              45.71%
> >
> > That's a rather large chunk of trash that amavisd doesn't have to look
> > at
>
> Except, of course, that you don't know it's all trash. Which is the
> point.

As I just indicated with Mark, I agree it has the potential to have
FP's, just like we have the potential to be visited by ET :)

> > I know, my bad for suggesting somebody actually do some
> > work :)
>
> I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that it is, in the great
> scheme of things, pretty easy to add a PTR record. Nonetheless, it may
> be hard for some legitimate senders, and more so as IPv6 ramps up, who
> you will then punish by dropping their emails.

So, you propose we put it in the too hard basket, and to not GAF? let
the status quo go on?  that;s the wrong appraach, nip it in the bud in
the very early days is the way to fix it, that way, people will get
accustomed to doing it right, what it we always say, fix the root cause,
not try catch up patch it later.

> Regards, K.
>
> [1] This is not to say that rDNS has no use. It's cool from an
> informational point of view to be able to see who an address range
> "belongs" to, helpful in traceroutes and so forth. But it's not
> *necessary*.

I'm more interested in running traceroute  with -A  if I want to know
who the RP is.