[AusNOG] Straw poll: what is your email message size limit?

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Tue Mar 26 12:38:44 EST 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Ed Hallett <ed at teltech.net.au> wrote:

> This may not be the best forum for this… But I’m actually looking at
> reducing email size limits to force users into using technologies designed
> for file sharing and governance – Sharepoint, Skydrive Pro, etc. Reducing
> limits to 5MB has all sorts of flow on effects – not even talking about
> freeing up link bandwidth, Exchange store sizes, etc.

It's 2013.  Email *is* designed for file sharing - that's why every email
client has an "attach file" button on it, and why we have protocols like
MIME.

The "email wasn't designed for ..." argument fits in the same category as
arguments like "TCP wasn't designed for Video", and "HTTP wasn't designed
for Social Media".  Technically true, but pointless if that's what your
'customers' want to use it for!

  Scott.