[AusNOG] dot1q-tunnel and cisco nexus 5000s

David Gwynne loki at animata.net
Fri Mar 22 14:33:35 EST 2013

On 22/03/2013, at 7:41 AM, Peter Tiggerdine <ptiggerdine at gmail.com> wrote:

> If unified fabric isn't a requirement you could take a look at the 4500-X switches. Has 10G with dot1q-tunnel support.

i would be considering a different switch if i hadnt just bought the 5ks last year. id ask if anyones interested in buying some second hand n5ks but this isnt the right mailing list for that.

> Setting up two of them in VSS configuration at the moment. Kinda feels like a 6500 had the love child of a nexus 5500.
>
> have you looked at PVLAN's (which I think is supported in the nexus 5500 as well?)?

my understanding is that PVLANs are about creating relationships between physical ports, right? i want to build relationships between virtual interfaces on vms. i only ever skim the doco on those so i could be wrong.

i think i'll byte the bullet and ask the central guys for a chunk of vlan tags i can use as i see fit within my space. either that or hack svlan support into my hypervisor.

dlg