[AusNOG] DNS forwarders (was Re: IPv6: Who's dual stacked? Why don't I look stacked?)

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Fri Mar 8 17:22:07 EST 2013

On 03/08/2013 01:27 PM, Peter Tiggerdine wrote:
> Unless you're a teir two ISP or higher, pointing you're dns forwarders
> to you're upstream providers assists with DNS load balancing like
> Akamai and other content providers.

Don't most of those return a local IP address based on the GeoIP/AS-path
of the source request anyway?

> Also take the weights of the root
> name servers. Generally your lookup times will be quicker as well.
>
> It's one of the many reasons why using opendns or google dns servers
> isn't a great idea.

Interested in any alternatives to OpenDNS you can suggest who:

 1. Host services locally
 2. Offer customisable blacklisting on a per-client-IP basis with a
    web-based administration interface

Regards,
Paul

P.S. I can't resist.  Please read this: