[AusNOG] IPv6: The mail problem to AusNog - found the fault, but how to fix.

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Fri Mar 8 14:28:19 EST 2013

On 8/03/2013 2:47 p.m., Narelle wrote:

> Agreed.
>
> I won't object to it being cross posted however, or posted there with
> a summary of findings back at ausnog.

http://whrl.pl/Rdwwg3

We've found the cause.  Lack of PTR record on the IP.

How I can fix that, now that's a whole other problem and about where I
jumped off the boat 18 months ago...

That server is a vps server, with an HE.net tunnel landed on the VPS
server it self.  I actually asked for more addresses on it when I
started, but no one was interested in helping with that.

I can't get native traffic to the machine, though I'd beat it does exist
in the DC, but out side of my control.

I'm thinking the quickest solution would be to land my own HE /48 tunnel
on the VPS instance.  That would then let me get zone delegation from HE
iirc.

However I have no idea at all how I'm going to manage that in the bind
instance on the VPS.

I'm running DTC as a hosting control panel on that machine.

http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc.html

Jared this is about where I recall you got up to... I looked in to
cPanel support for v6 18 months ago and the only reference I could find
was a sarcastic joke web page.

I currently have no idea how to set up a v6 ptr zone in bind and
actually had quite a bit of trouble finding out any information on how
to do that 18 months ago.

Suggestions welcomed.