[AusNOG] IPv6 - What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Wed Mar 6 21:43:23 EST 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 17:03 +1300, Don Gould wrote:
> My mobile provider has just started giving me a NAT connection... It
> was a public /32, but  it's gone NAT I noticed.  My mobile will do
> v6... but how do I land a tunnel on that?

Question for anyone -

Do mobile network resellers (eg Internode's "Node Mobile") manage their
own IP addressing and assignment, or are they limited by the IP ranges
or software/hardware infrastructure of their parent carrier?

I couldn't find any information on Internode's website in regards to
IPv6 on their mobile service, it would be interesting to know whether
resellers are unable to do IPv6 on mobile networks due to the parent
carrier's systems preventing it, or whether it's something a reseller
could switch on themselves.

The existing prevalence of carrier grade NAT in the mobile space and the
fast upgrade cycle of mobile devices would make it an ideal network to
be deploying IPv6 dual stack, or maybe even IPv6 only networks with
NAT64.

regards,
jethro

--