[AusNOG] IPv6 -"Nope, we're not at the edge" - Cisco...

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 6 19:50:47 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----

While I was at Internode in 2010/2011, one of the things that one of the Internode Voice engineers and I did was played with a beta IPv6 version of the ACME software, using Linphone as the SIP client. IIRC, there was a minor bug, but most unimpressively it just worked. There was a Linphone issue because it was choosing the it's ULA address as it's media stream end point, and of course the ACME couldn't reach it. I've been meaning to get around to fixing the Linphone code so that it used the same address for it's local media stream end point as it used as the source for the SIP messages, which would then both be global addresses.

The reason then, and perhaps now, not to switch on IPv6 is that this service/devices support 000 calls, so it is necessary to be extremely conservative.