[AusNOG] IPv6 - Mark is just smarter than me.

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Wed Mar 6 15:21:04 EST 2013

On 6/03/2013 5:05 p.m., Mark Newton wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 03:41:09PM +1300, Don Gould wrote:
> > your general technical
>   > ability.
>
> I came into v4 with exactly the same level of understanding you had
> when you came into it.
>
> I came into v6 with exactly the same level of understanding you had
> when you came into it too.
>
> Everyone starts from the same point, with the same information
> available.

Mark I love IT, I really do, and after a decade or more of watching me
post on forums you just know it's true.

But I think you can also see that some of this IT stuff just comes
easier to you than it does me.

I look at IPv6 and just feel over whelmed and I bet I'm not the only one.

You're right, we do both start from the same start line, but when you
start to run, your stride is just longer than mine.

Not only do I feel overwhelmed, but I also feel intimidated.

Who else has done their home learning on this stuff and just backed away
from it feeling intimidated by the realisation of just how complex this
is going to be to push into our SMB customers?

You're right though, I'm not lighting it up in VMs on my network while
I'm playing with all the other stuff I throw in VMs... and I should be.

I'm not making this an every day part of everything I do the way I did
with Linux or learning Windows.